Wednesday 27 February 2013

Amritapuri - I am Hugged by a living Goddess


Wednesday 27 February


I refine/change my plans yet again and this morning cancel a train trip and a flight and book a new flight for Sunday from Trivandrum to Mumbai. Its all so easy online! Matthew runs me down to the ferry quay on his scooter, where I meet up with Katriona and board the Kollum boat. This ferry is aimed at tourists, which is why it costs twenty times as much as Monday's local ferry. In return, there's a fancy souvenir ticket and soft but grubby seats. There's also a clean loo and a covered upper deck (stooping required) for a firm but breezier ride. The ferry is only about a quarter full, so I dodge around from level to level and side to side according to the view.

Coracle Fishers
Which is a re-run of yesterday - palm-fringed river banks or raised canals plus a lock and a lake or two, brightly-painted cottages, people ambling along under umbrellas, fishing and domestic chores, a floating shop, "Chinese" nets (out of action), and boys paddling fishing from coracles. We stop for a quick but tasty veggie lunch served on a paper banana leaf, then on again to Amritapuri where K and I disembark along with half the passengers. We are punted across the river in a canoe, and are soon checking in at the Amritapuri Ashram's International Arrivals desk. Ashram rules: no meat, no loud voices, no photography, no sex, alcohol or smoking, no bright or immodest clothes, practise brahmachrya ("hugging, kissing and holding hands is inappropriate" - wot, no hugging? See below.) There are about 3000 guests staying, about half and half Indian and Western, all ages including children, more female than male. Many wear all or part white, so I don my nightwear trousers (thin white cotton, knee-length, baggy) and think I look the part. Everybody smiles at me. Indeed, everyone smiles - all the time - and so do I.

Ashram from the river
Now I am not an ashrammy sort of person, so have little idea of what to expect, but I think this is not the norm. For a start, the main ashram building is a huge pink tower block. Her Holiness Mata Amritanandamayi is not only India's most famous guru, she is regarded by some as a living saint / goddess. She is a "global phenomenon", raising vast sums for good causes worldwide. She coolly wrote out a cheque for US$22 million, for example, for relief following the tsunami, and her foundation builds homes, schools and free hospitals for the Indian poor. She even runs a free food programme for homeless people in New York. She's Mother Teresa big time. Like MT, Amma leads a simple personal life; unlike MT, Amma's organisation really benefits huge numbers of people in tangible ways. I join Katriona for the introductory video and orientation tour, and later visit the shops, internet cafe and basic restaurants - even more basic food is provided free.

Amma, as she's called, has a unique trademark - she showers divine love by hugging people (despite prohibition, above). Since the 1980s she's hugged an estimated 30 million people, and today she hugs me too!!! After queuing for the best part of two hours, my turn for Amma's "Darshan" finally comes. I follow the rules (on printed sheet): wipe my face first, remove my spectacles, and don't put my arms round her body. One of her acolytes gently eases me into her arms, she says something incomprehensible ("majorga, majorga, majorga") in my ear, then gives me a banana and a beatific smile, and it's all over in about 15 seconds. Some get much longer. Other people apparently report being overcome by an intense feeling of love. I don't, though I do come away smiling. It was worth the wait, just.

It's 11.30 pm. Amma is still hugging her last few devotees of the day (she's been at it since 11 am). Everyone in the hall stands as the band winds up with its final Bhajan. But my eye is caught by a huge brown cockroach advancing across the floor towards me in stages. Is everyone else just very short sighted, or is there also a prohibition on roachicide? I can ignore it no longer, so I step out as if casually and tread hard on the creature causing it to explode with a loud pop. This, too, makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment