Monday 4 March 2013

The Longest Day - Last Post


Sunday/Monday 3/4 March

At first light, someone is thwacking a palm tree in the secret garden beyond my bed head, coconuts falling with dull thumps. On the sea side, the breakers crash up the beach, though the pink dawn sea is calm. A yoga lesson swings slowly into action, a dozen gym-slipped girls squatting on bright mats twirl their arms in slow motion. I will soon be far away, but first, after breakfast, I meet Radish the Massage Man for a final "rejuvenation" session. He's probably too gentle to put me to rights, but a feel virtuous and perhaps a little rejuvenated.

Been there, got the T-shirt
My pre-booked tuk-tuk meets me at 10.15 and we head off for a breezy 2-hour ride south to the airport at Thiruvanandrapurham (normally still called by its earlier name Trivandrum, presumably for reasons of economy). My Spice Jet flight is delayed by two hours, but I still arrive far too soon in Mumbai. With so long to wait, I should have used the time for a trip into town and a decent meal, but end up people-watching outside the International Airport (not allowed in for four hours!), then an interminably long wait inside too, as the BA flight is also delayed until 3.45 am. After three weeks on the road/bus/rail/boat I'll be glad to see home.

End of blog - may be resumed at some time in the future!
Hope you've enjoyed reading it, if you have been.

Richard

abbeygarth@hotmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment